What information do we collect?
1. Information you provide to us directly.
- Registration information. This can include your username, name, email address and password, when you sign up for a Bonjournal account.
- User profile information. You may choose to provide a personal photo or description that allows us to help others find you on Bonjournal.
- User content. This includes the content you choose to share on the site, such as photos, entry posts, comments and other material. You may also choose to provide us with location data.
- Communications between you and Bonjournal. We may send you service-related emails, such as account verification, service update, technical or security notices, which you may not opt out of.
2. Information you give us permission to obtain.
- Connecting other services to your Bonjournal account. For example, you may link your Facebook, Foursquare or Twitter accounts to Bonjournal, which allows us to obtain your information from those accounts. The information we access from those services often depends on your settings or their privacy policies, so please be sure to check what those are.
3. Technical information when you use our site.
- Log data. Log file information is reported by your browser whenever you visit a website or mobile app, or when the content of a webpage or app is downloaded to your browser or device. When you use Bonjournal, our servers automatically record certain log data about your interaction with our site, including your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, the address of the web page you were visiting before you came to Bonjournal, browser type and settings, the date and time of your request, how you used Bonjournal, and other such information. We may also collect similar information from emails that we send to you, such as open and click-through rates, to help us improve on our services.
- Analytics information. To help us measure collective user information and analyze how to improve our site, we use third-party analytics tools, such as Google Analytics. These tools collect information that may be sent by your device or our site, and do not contain personal information other than IP addresses. In addition, we may compile and disclose aggregate information about our users for promotional or other purposes. For example, we might want to disclose that a certain percentage of our users are located within a particular geographic area.
- Device Information. When you’re using our site, we may collect information about what type of device it is, what operating system you’re using, device settings, unique device identifiers and crash data. The information we may collect depends on what type of device you’re using and its settings, so please also check the policies of your device manufacturer or software provider. When you use a mobile device to access our site, we may monitor how you interact with our site using device identifiers. Device identifiers are small data files or similar data structures stored on or associated with your mobile device, which uniquely identify your mobile device. A device identifier may be data stored in connection with the device hardware, data stored in connection with the device’s operating system or other software, or data sent to the device by Bonjournal. Some features of our site may not function properly if use or availability of device identifiers is impaired or disabled.
- Metadata. When you share your content on our site, we may receive metadata associated with your content. For example, when you post a public photo on Bonjournal, we may receive the time, date and place you took the photo.
How do we use the information we collect?
- provide our products and services to you, such as helping people see and find things that you share, helping you efficiently access your information after you sign in, and remembering information so you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you visit the site;
- provide, improve, test, and monitor the effectiveness of our site;
- develop and test new products and features;
- monitor metrics such as total number of visitors, traffic, and demographic patterns;
- diagnose or fix technology problems;
- make efforts to keep our products, services and integrations safe and secure;
- protect your and our rights or property;
- respond to your questions or comments;
- communicate with you via email, to the email address you provide to us. Some communications, such as activity notifications, feature updates, newsletters, marketing materials and other information, may be unsubscribed to via the unsubscribe link in the email, or by updating your account settings.
Sharing of your information
Bonjournal is a tool for you to record your adventures, share them, and find inspiration from the experiences of others. As a Bonjournal user, you always own all of your information and content. We do not share information we receive about you with others unless:
1. We have your consent;
When you create public journals and entries, anyone can view them. Once your content is shared with the public, it is searchable and may be re-shared by others. To change your privacy settings, please change your profile setting, or turn on the privacy feature of your entries. You may also provide us with public profile information that anyone can view.
3. We believe that disclosure is reasonably necessary to comply with the law or legal process; protect or defend our rights or property, or the rights or property of others; enforce these terms; or respond to claims that the content of any material on our system violates the rights of others;
If we must disclose your personal information in order to comply with the law or legal process, we will inform you (at the email address you provide) as soon as practicable, provided that it is lawful for us to do so.
4. We have removed your name and any other information that can identify you;
We may share anonymized data with other parties. We may also share aggregated information that it is no longer directly associated with you for promotional or other purposes. For example, we might want to disclose that a certain percentage of our users travel most frequently during the summer months.
5. We engage in a merger, acquisition, bankruptcy, dissolution, liquidation, reorganization, or similar transaction.
Please note that when others share information about you, they control how it is shared.
We store data for as long as it is necessary to provide products and services to you and others, including those described above. You can cancel your account at any time by sending an email to email@example.com. Following cancellation or termination of your account, it typically takes about one month to permanently delete your account and the information associated with your account. Certain information that is not stored on your account, like a comment you post to a friend, will remain even after you delete your account.
Your choices about your information
If you have a Bonjournal account, you have several, simple choices about your information built directly into the site.
For example, through your account settings, you can at any time:
- Update your account and public profile information.
- Link your Bonjournal account to another service, such as Facebook or Twitter. To unlink your Bonjournal account, turn off the Bonjournal app in the privacy settings of the other service.
While all journal content is public by default, you have the option to create private entries that can only be seen by you. Simply turn on the privacy lock feature when you are creating or editing a journal entry.
Bonjournal is not directed to childern under thirteen. If we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under the age of thirteen, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information from a child under the age of thirteen, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other website and services